Thursday, December 9, 2010

Surgery Progress

I thought it was time to post a progress report (uh-oh, that sounds like an old school teacher) since my surgery last week.  It has been 8 days since I had a modified radical neck lymph node dissection and my stitches are beginning to disappear.

I only spent one night in the hospital and thanks to my care partner husband I have been doing very well.  I haven't had to take any pain medicine which is mostly due to the fact that the nerves were cut or injured in my neck (a fact of which I am very happy, at this time anyway).  The places that do have "feeling" are reminding me that I had a 5 hour surgery!  My left shoulder, arm, and back are quite painful but bearable.  My cheek, ear, and mouth just have different levels of weirdness!  But I can eat, talk, and drive short distances, so all is well.

My hair took a beating during the surgery.  I went in with fairly nice hair and came out with something that looks like a bad wig!  So I now have a short (feels great) cut.

I still have my lovely drain tube for another 5 days.  But, except for not being able to take long, hot showers, even it hasn't been too bad.  So now I just take long, hot baths in my wonderful clawfoot soaking tub.

Oh, Gary says he may have to look for a chat room for care-givers that teaches him what, when, and how to say anything.  Mainly to figure out how much trouble his next comment is going to arouse!


1 comment:

  1. Yes, there must be a chatroom like that somewhere, though it probably has to be "underground" or people would start getting in trouble for posting there. :)

    I like this picture.

    ReplyDelete