Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Gifts of comfort

I have recently received books from Taylor families.  My Alabama grandchildren's Arkansas grandparents, Grandmom and Pop (Nick's parents), sent me a wonderful book by David Jeremiah.  It is "A Bend in the Road" Experiencing God When Your World Caves In--great book.

Dana and Nick gave me a wonderful little book of Charles Spurgeon sermon vignettes titled "Beside Still Waters".  I wanted to share one of them that comforted me today.

"When pain gives every sign of increasing, when we wait for the surgeon with his dreaded knife, if we are to be sustained under suffering that makes the flesh shudder, we need the upholding gentleness of God.  'Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God, I will strengthen you, yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand' (Is. 41:10).  This promise, like the nightingale's song, is most sweet when heard in the night season."

I must go today for another consultation with yet another surgeon about yet another surgery even while waiting until next week for the surgery to finish my lip.  Without God's help I would have been washed away by this tidal wave of the last few weeks and contemplation of the future.  But with God's steady Hand and the support of my wonderful family and friends, I feel completely calm and steady even in the midst of this storm.

An this is an example of a great 'Gift of Comfort'.
This is Sebastian Alexander, number 6 grandchild.


1 comment:

  1. Patricia,
    My thoughts and prayer are with you, also. May the Lord of all grace grant you His peace that passes all understanding.
    Ramona (friend of Nick and Dana)

    ReplyDelete