Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Dye Is Cast

The trip to Vanderbilt University Medical Center is history (thankfully).  Dana was able to travel with us thanks to the kindness of a lovely homeschool family.  My appointment was with Dr. S, head of the Melanoma department.  We had tried to gather our thoughts and questions but just walking into one of those places seems to just suck out what little intelligence I have left!  But between the three of us I think we had a good consultation.

Dr. S seems to think that having the neck dissection is my best chance of eliminating the remaining melanoma.  So we made the decision to proceed with the surgery as soon as possible.  He recommended a surgeon at Vanderbilt, but after numerous conversations today he is booked until the later part of December.  Because I am waiting on starting radiation for the colon cancer until after this surgery, I simply cannot wait that long.  I had already seen an oncology head and neck surgeon in Huntsville and have decided to go with him.

All that explanation to say that my lymphadenectomy is scheduled at Huntsville Hospital for December 2.  Then I will start radiation the next week.  The next six months are going to be demanding!

My mouth and lips are healing well from last Friday's surgery.  I'm hoping to get stitches out tomorrow morning at my visit with Dr. D.  This afternoon I am headed to the GP's office to change my blood pressure meds (they just aren't cutting it anymore--can't imagine why).

So with all this going on, we have decided to get "out of Dodge" for a few days!  I've been wanting for the last two months to make a trip and every time some appointment comes up.  I bought tickets today for the Christmas Evening at Biltmore Estates for Thursday night!  Always wanted to see the Christmas decorations at Biltmore and think that a few days in the mountains will do us good.  After hopefully removing my stitches (my lips are so sore it will probably be a booger), we are picking up the motorhome and heading out.  Be back Monday.

This has been a wild journey already, one I would not have chosen.  But I am learning so much as I go along the way.  God really is faithful to deliver us with strength and courage just when we need it most.  The calm and peace I feel cannot be humanly explained, wow!



2 comments:

  1. I'm SO glad you're getting to go on this trip before the next round of chaos begins! I hope you both have a restful, relaxing time.

    ReplyDelete