Saturday, November 6, 2010

Difficult Day

Wednesday was a difficult day.

  First off I had to decide on a location to have my remaining lip surgery on Nov. 12.  That is the wonderful day when my lips will be parted and my tongue freed (so to speak, pun intended)!  I could go for less hassle and expense by having it done in the Dr. D's office clinic under local anesthesia.  Or I could go to the Huntsville Surgery Clinic.  The Surgery Clinic involves more hassle, expense, but also more anesthesia.  I thought about getting multiple injections in my upper and lower lip around the scar and quickly decided on the Surgery Clinic.  I can tell that I've become more hysterical at the thought of pain!

In the afternoon, I had an appointment with an ENT surgeon (a Dr. T) who does lymphadenectomy.  My oncologist made this appointment and suggested I have this neck dissection surgery.  This is elective surgery, quite permanently debilitating and not proven to increase survival.  After much prayer and thought, we have decided to not have the surgery at this time (an option by Dr. T).  We will take the wait and watch approach with monthly exams of lymph nodes.  Starting radiation and chemo for the colon cancer is even more of a priority that could not start until healing had taken place on the neck.  With everything considered, we decided to proceed with the radiation as soon as my mouth heals sufficiently (about Dec.1).

Dr. T was extremely frank and while we don't want sugar-coated facts, it is still hard to hear so many negatives at one time.  But after a major melt-down that night, the sun is shining again and God is in His Heaven!

Warren Finch, Marianne Caroline, Wilson James


1 comment:

  1. I love those Taylor kids. They are so cute and sweet. Gmachief (Ollie Burton)

    ReplyDelete